Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Wake and Shake

When you wake, shake off your sleep, shake off your worldly ambitions, shake off your fears, shake off your hurry, and think of God.

The morning has always been tough for me. I always wanted to sleep in. When forced to get to a job earlier than I wanted to even be awake, I had to do all kinds of things to psych myself up- mainly caffeine.

A lot of Christians think, and the Bible seems to agree, that we should get up early. And by inference, or perhaps even explicitly, we only do sin late at night.

After my most recent misery just 5 days ago, and a weekend of renewed focus on God, this morning it took me 40 minutes after waking to remember God. That is the very quick backsliding that I want to change. That's why I immediately came up to write this, to focus on my relationship with Him.

Lord please readjust my sleep cycle, let me sleep deeply and wake refreshed, thinking of you. Take from me all the thoughts and plans I have that are not your plan. Place in my heart your peace and let me think of the things that you would have me do this day. Thank you for another day, for keeping us safe, for your love and grace. Thank you for Jesus and the Holy Spirit.

No comments:

Post a Comment