Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Swearing and Holiness

I was super-holy the first year or so of my Christianity. I even had a 14-day period where I spent and hour a day or more on Bible reading, journaling, and prayer. At that time, I was quieter and more sensitive to swearing and anger. A friend of mine showed me a website that allowed you to dress up Jesus the way you would a doll. I felt soiled by this and later that day had a physical spiritual experience where I saw a powerful lifelike vision of Jesus on the Cross. I felt this restored my faith after that website.

Now I have become more glib, more likely to swear. Even when I did stand up comedy for 8 months in 2007, I was mainly a clean comedian. I did not use dirty jokes or routines that came to mind. I sorta felt it was a shame because I was really good at that. But I felt they were also too easy and that the real craft was being hilarious while not resorting to swear words or sex. Many comedians disagree and say the art cannot be restricted. I say you will speak about what is on your heart. And if your heart is filled with filth, that will come out. Mine is clearly not as pure as it has been at times.

No comments:

Post a Comment